Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Happy Birthday, America!

 photo IMG_1328-1_zps23643df8.jpg
Flag cover-up: c/o Homestead, Watch: Francesca's Collection

July 4, 1776, the Declaration of Independence was adopted. And 237 years later, it's a day we gather together for picnics, fireworks and to celebrate traditions like patriotism and our country's independence. 

Though, sometimes I think we forget the reality and even torture the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence went through and the sacrifice they made. Some were beaten, tortured and starved, others had their houses burned down, families and wives tortured or killed, and some had all of their money and assets taken away, "yet not one defected or went back on his pledged word. Their honor, and the nation they sacrificed so much to create is till intact."

I highly encourage you to read The Americans Who Risked Everything. 

I am so thankful that I was born in this wonderful country. I'm thankful that I can write, talk and believe as I do. That I have the right to live my life as I want. That I don't have to be afraid to speak out and have an opinion of my own. 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness…"   ~ Declaration of Independence


Comments

  1. It's often too easy to forget about the sacrifices that people made (and are still making) for us to live in this wonderful country. Feeling thankful for America! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well put Alisha! I think this is why I love the holiday so much. Its a really good reminder to me to fight for the values the country was founded on. You are a beauty!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments - be sure to leave one, I'd love to get to know you! :)