Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Hot off the Skillet

Well, crock-pot really but who's counting? 

The other day I was craving soup. It probably had a lot to do with the chilly weather we've been having lately here in Texas, either way soup I was craving and soup I made. OK technically it was a stew. Is there really a difference between the two?? 

Give me a minute while I google those two….

(OK I'm back. So here's what I found out, stews are thicker in consistency and have less veggies compared to soups. Soups are cooked with water-based broths, while stews are more on the verge of being gravy-like. So in the end a stew is like a really thick soup. You're welcome for the fun lesson today.) ;)

Now, on to this beast of a recipe.

1 lb beef chuck roast, cut into 2 inch pieces
Drizzle of Olive oil
6 c water
1 c baby carrots chopped
3 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
3 medium size red potatoes
1 medium yellow onion
3 cabbage
1/4 c cornstarch
1/4 c water
Salt & Pepper
Your favorite seasoning

Drizzle your olive oil in the bottom of your crock-pot. Place beef down first, then layer on vegetables and fill your crock-pot with 6 cups of water. Add your favorite seasoning, salt and pepper then put your lid on. Cook on low for 5-6 hours.

In the last hour of cook time combine 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup cornstarch to smooth consistency then add to crock-pot. Let cook one more hour then turn to warm setting and serve.

You'll be thinking you're back at grandma's house soon as you take that first bite.

Enjoy!

 photo IMG_8630_zps6eee3afa.jpg  photo IMG_8631_zps7ebd69fd.jpg  photo IMG_8632_zpsf997e413.jpg  photo IMG_8636_zpsdfe6e4d2.jpg

Comments

  1. YUM! I seriously love soup and wade hates it! he says he doesn't get full off of soup, or that he'll eat it but that he never craves it! What the...I love Idaho, and winters here always call for SOUP! (and breadbowls!) :) Your stew looks delish, I would eat it for breakfast right now!

    -kar

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments - be sure to leave one, I'd love to get to know you! :)