Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

This Story Pulled at My Heartstrings


So I just started a new job working at a garden center about a month ago. I couldn't have found a better job for spring.


Well, I've met so many different people who come into our store. Some, who come in weekly, others daily. And some of the sweetest people on earth too, and I've come to be friends with a few of them.

There's this one guy who comes in, uh let's call him John, and he's installing new plants in his landscape for spring. He's been in and out of our store quite a bit in the last few days trying to finish up his landscape.

Well, yesterday he came in looking for zinnias and some bird of paradise. I showed him where the plants were and told him I'd set them aside for him. He said he'd be back tomorrow to pay and pick them up. He began to tell me why he couldn't take them home today: he just came from chemotherapy.

I questioned his explanation, "Chemo?" Almost in shock.
"Yeah, chemo."
"Wait you have cancer? I had no idea. What kind, if you don't mind me asking?"
"Stage four kidney cancer. Terminal."

And it took a minute to wrap my brain around his words that spilled out of his mouth so casual. Like he had said it a million times before. Terminal, terminal, terminal. Wait that means, fatal, incurable, the end. Deadly. 

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry. I really had no idea."
But he shrugged it off like it was no big deal, and with a smile on his face he said, "Aw, it's nothing." 

You would have never known John had cancer. He's always in such high spirits when he comes into our store. Always has a smile on his face. He never gets upset about his orders not coming in on time. And he always jokes around with us. Even his wife is always upbeat. 

Why is it that sometimes life throws great people really awful curve balls? Sometimes life can be so tough for some people and we'll never understand why. This blog has never been about sending out mass prayer requests, but John's story really pulled on my heartstrings yesterday. So if you think about it, would ya mind sending up a little prayer for John and his wife?

I really appreciate every single one of you who stop by and read my little piece of space here.  Thank YOU. 

Happy Thursday, friends!

Comments

  1. that' honestly so precious. i recently lost a friend to brain cancer and it still pulls at my heart strings on a daily basis... life is so fragile. lovely post though, thank you for sharing!

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. that' honestly so precious. i recently lost a friend to brain cancer and it still pulls at my heart strings on a daily basis... life is so fragile. lovely post though, thank you for sharing!

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. that' honestly so precious. i recently lost a friend to brain cancer and it still pulls at my heart strings on a daily basis... life is so fragile. lovely post though, thank you for sharing!

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes life seems so unfair! I find it so amazing when people deal with their illnesses as if they have no worry at all. What strength! So sorry to hear about John and his wife. Praying for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness.... it is so hard to understand why things happen they way that they do an to the people they do. Bless him and his wife for having such strength and positive attitudes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's people like that who have such a positive spirit about them that keep you going when you're feeling blue.they will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this story. I am a new follower and think that your blog is so inspiring. I would love it if you had time to stop by www.bearrabbitbear.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. my thoughts and prayers are wtih you. God is mighty indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments - be sure to leave one, I'd love to get to know you! :)