Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

learning something new and post-apocalyptic crocheted clothes

A few years back I remember sitting at my grandmother's house watching her tender and weathered hands meticulously thread a single strand of yarn into a beautiful and colorful afghan blanket for a new addition to our extended family. I wanted to be able to do what she could do. To make those beautiful pieces she made that were stitched together with so much love.

I gently asked her if she would teach me to crochet. Her smile seemed to span a mile long. I picked it up right away, and, though they were nothing compared to her collection, I made two scarves that summer. College came that fall, and my needles and yarn got pushed to the back of my closet. So many times I was tempted to just through the bag of yarn away. I thought I'd never pick it back up again. Until now.




A couple weeks ago I found myself clicking through page after page on Etsy of beautiful shops full of scarves, cowls, beanie caps, mittens, and so many more wonderfully crocheted or knitted pieces of warm fuzziness. Some of them looked so chic that I HAD to buy one for myself from this Etsy shop. Darling, isn't it?! 

Then I had to make something for myself. Now I can't stop thinking about what I can crochet next! It's so addicting. I want to make this adorable cap and something similar to these, oh and these too!! 

Call me grandma, old fashioned or anything else you want, but if the world ever comes close to nuclear warfare, pandemic, extraterrestrial attack, resource depletion or some other general disaster and all the clothing factories burn down, I'll be the one still wearing clothes while you run around naked. #justsaying


Comments

  1. I'm with you! I love to crochet and I'm only 26. It's so relaxing! And it makes me feel productive when I'm watching TV in the evenings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could sit still long enough to learn how to crochet !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww you crochet items are so cute. I'm not very crafty but would love to learn how to crochet.

    -Ly
    http://www.lyzhang.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you crocheted!! Oh and if there is some freak nuclear war or some crazy thing, I'm coming to your house, because I want don't want to be running around naked!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, if anything super crazy happens in the world... I'll know where to find clothes. ;)

    I love that last photo... that hat is just adorable. Can't wait to see everything that you make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. those are awesome! especially love the white hat with the flower!
    I'd love to learn to crochet but my fur babies pose a bit of a challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that awesome hat with the flower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you are awesome!! I always wished I could have learned to Crochet from my grandmothers, but unfortunately they both passed away long before I could learn. I remember asking to have their yarn and needles after they passed and I tried to teach myself. I think I learned one thing and then my 11year old brain found something more entertaining to do. HAHA So congrats for picking it back up girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh you should open up an etsy shop...I wanna learn so bad because the hat looks fierce!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i want to learn how to crochet too! i know how to knit and loom knit but that's about it.
    xox dana
    thewonderforest.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are SO talented!! I think it is truly amazing that you learned to crochet, especially when you're so good at it! That first picture... is it a scarf? I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments - be sure to leave one, I'd love to get to know you! :)